Wednesday 30 March 2011

The Pantanal


Tubing in the floodwater of the Pantanal

View from my hammock in the Pantanal
 


Tubing in the floodwater

My first Pirahna


My room mate Kristy helping to eat the Pirahna we caught (on her birtrhday)
Caiman in the Pantanal

   I´ll expand on this section later (it´s late here and I have to be up at 4am to catch a flight). We had a really wonderful time in the Pantanal.

We went tubing in the tannin coloured floodwaters - it wsa a lovely, peaceful experience. I think someone may have got into trouble for not making us wear life jackets, but it didn~t really bother us at all - we had the tubes!

After that we waded into the water round our island (I was in up to my shoulders) and we fished for Piranha. Unfortunately we didnt catch any there´, but people did a few days earlier.


Then we had a lovely lunch and lazed in the hammocks for a while. Did I say that it was a beauticul, warm sunny day?

In the afternoon  a few of us took a boat trip and had a nother go at catching Piranha. This time we were much more successful. I caught 5 but only managed to get 3 into the boat. A balck one, a beauticul purple one and a golden yellow one. In total we caught 6 (which were later cooked for our teat - and very nice they were too!)


The hammock camp would we have been staying in ... if it were not flooded

We found some dry land and went horseriding for a while, seeing more wildlife.

Had tea, and then an evening boatride. Another boatdide in the morning and then it was time to leave the Pantanal.
Fishing for Pirahna at our camp in the Pantanal

No comments:

Post a Comment