Sunday 13 March 2011

Hairy moment in La Paz

I´ve just had a very hairy moment in La Paz. having spent some time wandering round the streets I thought I go for a stroll to the ´green´area on my map. I must admit to feeling a little aprehensive as I got further away from people but was joined by a Venezualan tourist with a map, also on her way to the park. Then we were apprehended by the ´tourist police´with offical badge and everything that wanted to see our passports. I refused to hand mine over to begin with but my Venezualan ´friend´ insisted that I must cooperate as the tourist police can be very strict etc. Anyway, to cut a long and hairy story short (as my bus is about to go) I stupidly got in the car with the policeman and the other ´´tourist´and he started to go through all our stuff, sniffing for cocaine and looking for forged banknotes. At the point where he had my Barclays and FairFX cards in his hand, and my passport and purse, I was extremely concerned. (Did I tell you that we were driven to an out of the way road below the park??) Then she started writing down her PIN for him!!! At that point i wrestled the cards out of his hand, grabbed all my things (which I had been watching like a hawk) and got out of the car. They tried to stop me, and tried locking the door etc. but I managed to get away and walked as fast as I could up the hill (difficult in the La Paz altitude) all the way back to my hotel, not looking back!!
It was a very hairy moment indeed ... I won´t be doing that again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment